Thursday, September 5, 2013

An Open Letter to All My Daughter's Facebook Friends

Dear Facebook Friends of My Daughter, Arianna… Wow, there’s a lot of you suddenly! She’s been making friends for a long time now. Some of you are from England, some are from New York and some of you are brand new from here in Louisiana. She’s got a quite a plethora…young and old. So this is for all of you who find yourself under her “friends” tab. I, her mother, am going to delete you. Not all of you…just the ones of you who can’t find their clothes. And just the ones who think vulgarity is funny….and cool to repost for her eyes to see and her ears to hear. Some of you are mutual adult friends and some of you she’s just discovered at school…no matter…young or old, if you’re inappropriate, I’m deleting you from her Facebook friends. She’s 13. I’ve already been told that I can’t shelter her forever….I know this. But I can shelter her for now. I can shelter her for as long as I can, as hard as I can because that’s what a mom should do. Teenage life is tough. Peer pressure is horrible. Vulgarity suddenly surrounds her on every front….on TV…on the internet…on the Middle School BUS. She hates it. She runs from it…so today, I’m going to do all that I can to help guard her heart…and we’re starting here, on her friends list. So, if you love to show your cleavage in your profile selfies (or any other part of your body that should be covered) or you love a good laugh at the obscene, you’ll be deleted by the time you finish reading this post. If you find yourself suddenly blocked from her page – KNOW THIS: You have value. And that value does not rise and fall on your clothing or lack thereof. But until you realize that, I cannot let you have access to my daughter. Her heart is pure. It’s gold. It’s tender. It’s worth guarding…and so is yours.

5 comments:

  1. Love it! I agree, and will be monitoring my kids' fb when they are old enough to have one. Thank God they're not yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go mama!!! Wish more parents were like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS, is and WILL BE me, if my daughter even HAS A FACEBOOK PAGE, or is allowed on the internet before, at 13 or before she leaves the shelter of our home. I, born in 1974, used our one computer set up in plain view in the middle of our home, that was my Father's, therefore needing explanation before even TOUCHING, never USED nor KNEW what "The World Wide Web" was, and PRAISE GOD for it.

    I truly believe I learned more, became a better person for, and grew up understanding the meaning of Morals and Values, was a more "PHYSICALLY HEALTHY" person, OUTDOORS MORE learning "hands-on" about life, communication, sympathy and empathy among MANY OTHER IMPORTANT and NECESSARY parts of life - only utilizing WORD PERFECT, EXCEL and like programs for school AND COLLEGE PAPERS - and LATER, once more "mature" and older, learned so much about Computer Programming, Technology and Internet that believe it or not, ended up working for years at a WELL KNOWN SERVICE TECHNOLOGY HELP DESK, helping to teach OTHERS how to do things from take a Computer apart, put it back together, FIX their Computers, teach a novice, Network Controls for their Internet, how to set up ONE Computer to Three others in their home or office onto a Network, how to CREATE PROGRAMS and things even further than that, into Graphic Design utilizing my own Computer and Laptop. I am now almost 40 years old.

    There is a time, place, reasons and MOST OF ALL, AGES for utilizing Computers, LET ALONE THE INTERNET AT ALL and I turned out MORE than "knowledgeable" in the Computer World not even KNOWING what an "INTERNET" was, as did MANY of us, growing up PAST THE AGE OF 18 / having NO FACEBOOK until even a few years ago and I Pray and do all I can to raise my Daughter's THE SAME.

    GREAT POST ABOVE - SHOULD BE PASSED ALONG!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS, is and WILL BE me, if my daughter even HAS A FACEBOOK PAGE, or is allowed on the internet before, at 13 or before she leaves the shelter of our home. I, born in 1974, used our one computer set up in plain view in the middle of our home, that was my Father's, therefore needing explanation before even TOUCHING, never USED nor KNEW what "The World Wide Web" was, and PRAISE GOD for it.

    I truly believe I learned more, became a better person for, and grew up understanding the meaning of Morals and Values, was a more "PHYSICALLY HEALTHY" person, OUTDOORS MORE learning "hands-on" about life, communication, sympathy and empathy among MANY OTHER IMPORTANT and NECESSARY parts of life - only utilizing WORD PERFECT, EXCEL and like programs for school AND COLLEGE PAPERS - and LATER, once more "mature" and older, learned so much about Computer Programming, Technology and Internet that believe it or not, ended up working for years at a WELL KNOWN SERVICE TECHNOLOGY HELP DESK, helping to teach OTHERS how to do things from take a Computer apart, put it back together, FIX their Computers, teach a novice, Network Controls for their Internet, how to set up ONE Computer to Three others in their home or office onto a Network, how to CREATE PROGRAMS and things even further than that, into Graphic Design utilizing my own Computer and Laptop. I am now almost 40 years old.

    There is a time, place, reasons and MOST OF ALL, AGES for utilizing Computers, LET ALONE THE INTERNET AT ALL and I turned out MORE than "knowledgeable" in the Computer World not even KNOWING what an "INTERNET" was, as did MANY of us, growing up PAST THE AGE OF 18 / having NO FACEBOOK until even a few years ago and I Pray and do all I can to raise my Daughter's THE SAME.

    GREAT POST ABOVE - SHOULD BE PASSED ALONG!!

    ReplyDelete