Saturday, January 31, 2015

Wait What? Weight Watchers.


I don’t know when I got fat. It kind of snuck up on me.  I’ve always been thin growing up and in my head, I’ve always been skinny but here lately I’ve had to wear jeggings…all the time.  My son was the first to point it out. “Mom, I’m not saying you’re fat,” he said. “I’m just saying your arms are fat.”

Then one day I noticed my jacket kept getting hung up on something.  It was my butt.

“Hmmmmm, maybe I should do something about that,” I thought to myself.  But then I took a nap instead and forgot.  Then, I hurt my back at work.  I was sent to Physical Therapy where my therapist kept using the terms “women your age” and “working on your core.”  In other words, I was old and fat. 

Then my foot started hurting.  Plantar fasciitis.  Crippling.  Again, the foot doctor mentioned weight.

The last straw was my husband.  I had begun wearing elastic banded anything around the house.  I refused to buy a higher size even if that meant I was going to have to wear my Oscar Mayer Wiener pajama bottoms constantly.  So be it.  My husband came in and beheld me in all my elastic banded glory.

“So that’s it then?” He asked after giving me the once over with his eyes. “You’re just giving up?”

So this year, it’s our 25th Wedding Anniversary – and my 45th Birthday too….so I’m giving myself the gift of health – hopefully.  At least, that’s my plan.

I joined Weight Watchers.  And this is my journey, if you care to take it with me.

Day One:

It was our first weigh-in.  Just as I suspected – I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been in my life.  I got all the startup material for the 17 week program.  Luckily, my work is providing the venue and is kind enough to take the payments out of my next few checks.  There is a joker who likes attention at the meeting who continually asks useless questions.  This is already getting on my nerves.  I look through the book….overwhelmed.  I forgot to tell them I don’t cook.  This may be a problem.  Immediately I realize I’m going to have to put every organizational tool I have into place if this is going to be successful.  I leave the meeting a bit deflated….like a Belichick football only fatter.

I got home and signed up for my free eTools app so I could keep track of my binges on my smart phone.  For fun, I used the recipe builder and input Rob’s awesome Chicken Casserole to see how many points I consumed last night for dinner.  If my calculations are correct, Rob’s Chicken Casserole with its sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, jasmine rice, a sleeve of Ritz Crackers and 3 cups of Shredded Cheddar Cheese and broccoli……was 26 points per tablespoon.  That’s all the points I’m allowed in one day, in one bite.

This may be harder than I thought.

Stay tuned.
------------------------------------------
update: First Weigh In: http://musingrhonda.blogspot.com/2015/02/weight-watchers-weigh-inweek-one.html


 

No comments:

Post a Comment